The Student News Site of Chaparral High School

Chap News

Blood drive draws large numbers

Students wait hours to donate blood

Madison+Paulino%2C+in+chair%2C+donates+blood+early+Tuesday+morning+at+Chaparral+High+School.+
Madison Paulino, in chair, donates blood early Tuesday morning at Chaparral High School.

Leonardo Garcia

Leonardo Garcia

Liliana Mora, Leslie Gutierrez , and Rosa Sanchez

Natalee Babinchak, Staff Writer

Students came out in large numbers as  Chaparral High School partnered with United Blood Services for one of its yearly blood drives Tuesday. Students waited hours to donate blood in hopes to do their part in helping the community after the shooting Sunday night.

Chaparral students and teachers donated 57 units of life-saving blood, according to UBS, will be able to save 171 patients.

There was a bit of difficulty, however, with the how many students wanted to give blood and the number of volunteers. With so many students wanting to give blood, some waited hours to donate. 

“We will try to get as much as possible, but currently right now we are kind of backed up,” said Eric Weber, donor relation specialist. “We’re getting everyone [we can], all the blood that we can to help the victims of the shooting.”

Weber said he was a little surprised by the number of students, but also wasn’t due to the circumstances of Sunday’s shooting.

Senior Victor Lopez was frustrated about waiting three hours to donate blood, but remembered that it is for a good cause.

“My blood can help people,” Lopez said. “So if it’s going to do something good, I think it’s worth waiting.”

The blood drive started to wrap up at around 12:30 p.m. and some students weren’t able to donate, but Weber reassured students that they can donate at one of the clinics around town or at the Feb. 6 blood drive.

“We will definitely be coming back,” Weber said of future blood drives.

Nancy Dewey, senior donor recruiter for the UBS, feels strongly about helping out the community by donating blood, especially in this time of need.

“We need help now,” she said. “All the doctors in the hospitals need blood now. Not just when it’s convenient. It’s saving lives, what we’re doing.”

Every person that donates blood saves about three lives in the emergency room, and giving blood is one of the easiest ways of helping other the community.

Before giving blood, there are a few precautions people need to take, like making sure they ate and drank enough food and water to assure they don’t get fatigued and pass out.

To make sure people don’t pass out, UBS provides people with water, juice and snacks to replenish some of their fatigue from the loss of blood.

For those interested in donating blood, he or she can visit http://www.unitedbloodservices.org/lv/.

“We do [blood drives] all year round,” Weber said. “We usually do this to support all of our hospitals. … We supply hospitals with what they need, but after what happened [Sunday] it crippled all of [the hospitals].

Lifestyles Editor Leland Moore contributed to this report.

Oct. 5 Update: The story was edited to include the amount of units Chaparral students and teachers contributed.