The Student News Site of Chaparral High School

Chap News

Alumni making difference in students’ lives through donations

Chaparral%27s+cheerleading+team+dances+during+tailgate+Sept.+28.+Chaparral+alumni+donate+money+and+other+items+to+help+fund+Chaparral%27s+athletics+and+activities.+
Chaparral's cheerleading team dances during tailgate Sept. 28. Chaparral alumni donate money and other items to help fund Chaparral's athletics and activities.

Lillian Varney

Lillian Varney

Julie Aisa, Staff Writer

One may wonder how alumni could affect current high school students. Previously, alumni were just like the current students – trying to find their way through life, possibly go to college, make the most of their youth and high-school experiences.

These were years full of self discovery and making of connections that would later on fade or continue on past graduation.

Chaparral High School was built in 1973, which collects 44 years of history.

Alumni from Chaparral branched out all over after graduation — some residing within the United States, some overseas. It’s a close-knit community of alumni and more often than not, they contribute to help current students in many ways involving high-school experience.

But how exactly do alumni contribute to the current functions of this maze of procedure and self discovery? Though time and money.

Alumni often contribute through financial donations and running events to raise funds — such as the Cowboy Scramble Golf Tournament, which raised $16,037 in the 2017 edition.

“We formed a group, started fundraising and started doing whatever we can to get what the school needs,” Chaparral alumnae Michelle Huskins said. “Whatever they need, we help out.”

Huskins, who graduated in 1986, understands the value of extracurricular activities and advised students to join. She mentioned these activities provide both an escape and relief of stress, giving students a much needed break from the academic threshold, as she had in her choir program.

She recounted her years at Chaparral and what it was like coming back to high school.

“I had an amazing time when I was [at Chaparral],” Huskins said. “A lot of people tell me,’They didn’t want to go back to high school.’ I would go back in a heartbeat. … I loved it when I was here. I was very involved.”

When Huskins first discovered some of the economic issues the school was facing, she and other alumni began fundraising in order for students to have the necessary resources available to experience high school as they had in their time at Chaparral.

Xavier Antheaume, assistant principal, noted that being one of the first high schools in Las Vegas automatically connects many people to the school.

He highlighted the Soccer Alumni Society and Huskins with their contributions. The soccer alumni now have their own alumni soccer game and come to support current soccer players. This type of support is not uncommon to other sports as well.

“One of our former baseball coaches has taken ownership of one of the golf tournament in which we’ve also included a baseball alumni game as well,” Antheaume said.

Huskins is one of the huge contributing factors for the providing of resources and programs at Chaparral for students in need.

Ranging from basic clothing, prom dresses, and canned food drives, alumni, in general, make an impact at Chaparral.

“[Huskins is] just wanting to do everything and anything,” Antheaume said. “She’s gone above and beyond with helping us out … everything that is just beyond donating money or donating specifically to different options”

Past the decades and changing generations, alumni is strengthened, bonded, and interlaced with current students in transition through major epochs of life. Not only do current Chaparral students have support while they are at the school, they also have opportunities after graduation.

“We have every career opportunity out there,” Huskins said. “Chaparral alumni has a Facebook page with over 2,000 followers. They’re all over the United States and have a couple overseas.

“They keep in touch, because it was close community. Everyone wants to give back because we want to give everyone the high-school experience that we had.”

Staff writer Tracee Okazaki-Lemapu contributed to this report.

1 Comment

One Response to “Alumni making difference in students’ lives through donations”

1. Richard Alfaro alumni 1985 on October 4th, 2017 6:30 pm

I applaud all alumni who continually strive to help new generations. As an alumni, if there is any students interested in the Culinary arts, I would be happy to be of assistance.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Alumni making difference in students’ lives through donations

News

In-N-Out to open near Chaparral

News

Pennants encourage students to think beyond mainstream universities

News

Organization helping students ‘be the change’

News

Art classes taking move to portables in stride

News

AP Literature class honors 20s with ‘Gatsby Party’

News

Workshop aims to clear up confusion about FAFSA

News

Students to take PSAT exams

News

Students, teachers highlighting the meaning of respect

News

Students encouraged to fill out FAFSA

News

Tennis team leaves Walker lasting memory