Chap News

Chaparral sweeps top three spots in “No Place for Hate” art contest

Franz+Domingo+stands+in+front+of+his+art+work+on+the+side+of+a+CAT+bus.+Chaparral+swept+the+top+three+spots+in+the+%22No+Place+for+Hate%22+art+contest.+
Franz Domingo stands in front of his art work on the side of a CAT bus. Chaparral swept the top three spots in the

Franz Domingo stands in front of his art work on the side of a CAT bus. Chaparral swept the top three spots in the "No Place for Hate" art contest.

Leonardo Garcia

Leonardo Garcia

Nicole Walls, Staff Writer

The art department at Chaparral High School gave students the opportunity to participate in the ai???No Place for Hateai??? Contest where the first place winner got their artwork displayed on a bus.

Chaparral was only allowed to choose five students to submit entries into the contest, three of which placed in the top three places. First place was senior Franz Domingo. Second place was Janet Moreno, a junior. And third place was Madison Alldridge, a senior.Ai??

ai???I was super proud. These are my students, I donai??i??t have any kids so these are like my kids. When they do stuff itai??i??s so exciting and Iai??i??m like a stage mom, one of those crazy parents screaming and cheering, I get super excited,ai??? Art teacher Wendy Austin said.

Franz Domingo, who was awarded with his artwork being displayed on the bus, described his art being focused around the idea of harmony.Ai??

ai???[The artwork I created] is about world peace, so it represents world peace and love, itai??i??s about a world that doesnai??i??t have hate and itai??i??s peaceful,ai??? Domingo said.Ai??ai???[Making art] takes a lot of time; creating [the winning piece] took a lot of ideas and sketches, so it was like two hours because of the coloring and detailing.ai???

Franz has been creating art since he was in 2nd grade. Other than his incredible skills, his passion for art was a major contribution to his accomplishment Ai??ai???[Art is my passion] because it helps me with a lot of things and I enjoy doing it.ai???

Domingo also shared about his feelings about winning first place.

ai???Iai??i??m very proud [of my placing] because this is my very first award I got doing art and I didnai??i??t know if I would win because the style it is isnai??i??t very realistic and itai??i??s not like the normal stuff I do, I do very realistic things and the one I did is very cartoonish, so Iai??i??m very proud of it because itai??i??s something I did different,ai??? Domingo said.

When asked how he felt for the other students who placed, Domingo stated:Ai??ai???Yes, [I was excited that my peers also placed], I was so surprised because I didnai??i??t know we all would place, there was a lot of people who joined. I was very proud and surprised about it.ai???

Janet Moreno, 2nd place winner, gave us details about her artwork and herself concerning art and the contest.Ai??

ai???It took me about four days to finish [the piece,]ai??? Moreno said. ai???I wanted to incorporate different cultures so thatai??i??s why I put in different flags and I put people holding hands because itai??i??s about love and people working together.ai???

Janet has been constructing art since her freshman year when art teacher Wendy Austin encouraged her to enhance her art skills.Ai??

ai???I do think art is one of my passions, I like doing it, and it makes me feel better,ai??? Moreno said.

Moreno elaborated on her adoration for art, it’s power, and her beliefs that art is imperative to learning.Ai??

ai???I think this is a perfect example of why the arts are so important in education. Opportunities like these imagine a world without hate. It fosters a dialogue and opens up a discourse for people to talk about social issues and change,” Austin said.Ai??“[The artwork] brought together students, it brought together faculty having that bus out front, it brought together the community.”

Madison Alldridge, 3rd place winner, also gave us some details about her artwork and herself.

ai???It took 3 hours [to complete the artwork]. Did it the night before the contest,ai???Alldridge said.

She also went further to talk about the meaning of her artwork, ai???there is tension between different cultures and people around the world and [the artwork] symbolizes the bond or unity between the different people, not just in the community but around the world.ai???

Art has been a part of Alldridge’s life since sixth grade, deriving her passion from her talent. She describes art as “therapeutic,” and something more people should engage themselves in.Ai??She also shared her thoughts on her placing and peers in the contest.

ai???It’s good for doing it overnight,ai??? Alldridge said concerning her placement in the contest.

When asked about how she felt for the other students who won Alldridge stated, ai???Yes [Iai??i??m proud of them and happy for them]. I think they deserved it. They worked really hard on it and were also really nice.ai???

Xavier Antheaume, Chaparral’s assistant principal, also had comments regarding the art contest.

ai???[Hearing that three people placed in the contest] was pretty awesome because I heard they had over two hundred people submit artwork and for us to have a sweep, you donai??i??t hear about that very often, and on top of that we were the grand prize two years in a row, itai??i??s pretty special.ai???Ai??

The winners’ artwork sparked a dialogue about empathy, positivity, and world peace.

ai???I wish we had more love in this world. Often times you hear all about the negativity, the fighting, all the nonsense going around. Itai??i??s just awesome seeing something thatai??i??s positive and dealing with love. I wish we had more things like that.ai??? Antheaume said.

Correction:Ai??A quote was improperly attributed. Chap News regrets the error.Ai??

Leonardo Garcia
Chaparral swept the top three spots in the "No Place for Hate" art contest.